I made this hat for St Patrick’s Day but you can make for any occasion, just change the colour palette and add specific decorations. I like it how easy it is to make and in the end looks so amazing and it’s like a whole fashion accessory.
You can check out my YouTube tutorial here:
For this project you will need:
- card / good quality paper
- black card, any coloured card, glitter card – I had my card from https://www.papermilldirect.co.uk/
- double-sided tape / glue
- scissors, ruler and craft knife
1. Trim one rectangle from green card measuring 9 1/4″ x 4″ (or 9 1/4″ x 3 1/2″, depending on how tall you want it to be) and add a strip of double-sided tape on one of the short sides.
2. Roll the rectangle and glue the ends together.
3. Trace the base of the hat onto the back of the card. I used a tape roll to trace it.
4. Trace the top side of the hat. I used a smaller roll of tape for this one.
5. Cut out the circles.
6. Use your craft knife and ruler to cut a few diagonals within the centre of the circle. For a more accurate result try to make as many sections as you can and resize the centre circle to be just a bit smaller (this will create a better fit when gluing inside the tube).
7. Use the scissors to snip the outer edge of the top circle.
8. Glue the top and bottom sides of the hat.
9. Embellish the hat to finish.
I decided to add some wide ribbon on one of them tied in a big bow. For another hat I created a belt using the black and glitter card. Have fun with it!
You can add the top hat onto a headband or a hair clip.